Thursday, August 11, 2011

METALLICA - METALLICA

YEAR: 1991

LABEL: Elektra

TRACK LISTING: Enter Sandman, Sad But True, Holier Than Thou, The Unforgiven, Wherever I May Roam, Don't Tread On Me, Through the Never, Nothing Else Matters, Of Wolf and Man, The God That Failed, My Friend of Misery, The Struggle Within

IMPRESSIONS: This album broke my neck. Actually, it only strained the muscles in my neck after headbanging to "Sad But True" in the backroom at Sizzler. "The Guppy" was the one who got me into the album very quickly by merely playing the tape at work. After not seeing my best friend for a long while, I think I startled him a little by my sudden conversion to headbanging listener to Metallica on our first road trip back after his return. We were out riding in the legendary puke-coloured Camaro when I popped the Metallica Black Album tape in. The look on my doddy's face was priceless; I took him completely by surprise by my headbanging enthusiasm. He probably thought of me more a fan of things like Elton John than someone who would wholeheartedly turn into a metalhead. Shortly after starting the tape, the sky opened up in the most violent thunderstorm one can imagine. This is, in fact, the effect my personal music choices have on the universe around me. Be warned.

MY FAVOURITE TRACKS: Enter Sandman, Sad But True, The Unforgiven, Wherever I May Roam, Nothing Else Matters, My Friend of Misery

FACT SHEET: METALLICA is Metallica's fifth album. Although popularly known as "The Black Album", METALLICA is the official title of the album. The addition of producer Bob Rock and the band's determination to make shorter songs make this the transitional album between the epic length thrash metal of the past and the more commercial period of their later career. Michael Kamen arranged and conducted the orchestra on "Nothing Else Matters"; a song which won the Penguin Award for Song of the Year.

2 comments:

  1. Keep them coming, really like all of your choices. Two more requests: Bonnie Raitt and Fleetwood Mac!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy mackanoley!!!! I'll see what I can do for my panting palpitatin' public. Jeez, what're you gonna do when you hear me on the podcast?!?!?!?!!!!!

    ReplyDelete