Tuesday, August 2, 2011

THE CLONES OF DR. FUNKENSTEIN - Parliament



YEAR: 1976

LABEL: Casablanca

TRACK LISTING: Prelude, Gamin' On Ya, Dr. Funkenstein, Children of Productions, Getten To Know You, Do That Stuff, Everything Is On the One, I've Been Watching You (Move Your Sexy Body), Funkin' For Fun

IMPRESSIONS: My first encounter with the mad mad world of George Clinton and his alien band brought from outer space to bestow P-Funk on the planet Earth. Many's the time I spun this platter on my little record player atop my azure dresser. A long string of Parliament albums would follow but this was the first. At the time of its release during the Bicentennial, my friends were listening to Van McCoy's "The Hustle" while I was listening to stuff like this. I was not generally understood by the kids in my neighbourhood.

MY FAVOURITE TRACKS: Prelude, Gamin' On Ya, Dr. Funkenstein, Getten' To Know You, Do That Stuff

FACT SHEET: CLONES is Parliament's fifth studio album. It is Parliament's second gold record and charted #20 on the Billboard pop chart. It is probably a good time to clear up a common misconception which refers to the group as Parliament-Funkadelic. This is just plain wrong. Parliament is one distinct group and Funkadelic is another; Parliament is pure funk based while Funkadelic (strangely enough) is more rock-oriented. Both groups are headed by maestro George Clinton but each is a separate entity.

No comments:

Post a Comment