Sunday, January 1, 2012

HEROES, GODS AND MONSTERS OF THE GREEK MYTHS - read by Julie Harris & Richard Kiley

YEAR: 1968

LABEL: Spoken Arts

TRACK LISTING: Zeus, Hera, Hades, Demeter, Birth of the Twins, Athene, Poseidon, Hephaestus, Hermes, Artemis, Apollo, Sons of Apollo, Aphrodite, Phaethon, Perseus, Narcissus and Echo, Theseus, Pandora, Arion, Orpheus, Atalanta, Prometheus, Daedalus, Eros and Psyche

IMPRESSIONS: It all probably started with D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths but I've always loved mythology. This is another record I found in my middle school library (along with the previously mentioned "GOLDEN HOUR OF COMEDY" record of old radio comedy) and I checked it out constantly; including all through high school since the records were also happily in my high school library! A year or two later when I worked at Rustler, a co-worker who went to my high school generously offered to check the records out of the library so I could tape them. Thanks, Stacey! Of course, years later than THAT, I managed to buy the actual box set on ebay. The written of Bernard Evslin really brings the myths to life; he has superb storytelling abilities and these tales were meant to be read aloud. Richard Kiley and Julie Harris are the perfect people to breathe magic into these tales; on the albums each usually take turns (f'rinstance Kiley reads "Zeus" on the first album followed by Harris reading "Hera", Kiley reading "Hades", Harris reading "Demeter" and so on). While written originally for a young audience, the book (and records) are happily written so that they can be enjoyed equally by adults. I can think of no better way to introduce someone to Greek mythology.

MY FAVOURITE TRACKS: All of 'em.

FACT SHEET: HEROES, GODS AND MONSTERS OF THE GREEK MYTHS is a six record box set. It is in fact an "audio book" of readings from the book of Greek myths written by Bernard Evslin.

No comments:

Post a Comment