Thursday, January 12, 2012

ATLANTIC RHYTHM AND BLUES 1947-1974 - Various Artists

YEAR: 1991

LABEL: Atlantic

TRACK LISTING: Lowe Groovin' - Joe Morris, That Old Black Magic - Tiny Grimes, Annie Laurie - Tiny Grimes, Midnight Special - Tiny Grimes, The Applejack - Joe Morris, Cole Slaw - Frank Culley, Drinkin' Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee - Stick McGhee, So Long - Ruth Brown, I'll Get Along Somehow - Ruth Brown, Hey Little Girl - Professor Longhair, Mardi Gras in New Orleans - Professor Longhair, Tee Nah Nah - Harry Van Walls, Danny Boy - Al Hibbler, Anytime Anyplace Anywhere - Joe Morris, Teardrops From My Eyes - Ruth Brown, One Monkey Don't Stop No Show - Stick McGhee, Don't You Know I Love You - The Clovers, Shouldn't I Know - The Cardinals, The Chill Is On - Big Joe Turner, Chains of Love - Big Joe Turner, Fool Fool Fool - The Clovers, One Mint Julep - The Clovers, Wheel of Fortune - The Cardinals, Sweet Sixteen - Big Joe Turner, 5-10-15 Hours - Ruth Brown, Gator's Groove - Willis Jackson, Ting-A-Ling - The Clovers, Daddy Daddy - Ruth Brown, The Midnight Hour - Ray Charles, A Beggar For Your Kisses - The Diamonds, Mama He Treats Your Daughter Mean - Ruth Brown, Good Lovin' - The Clovers, Wild Wild Young Men - Ruth Brown, Mess Around - Ray Charles, Honey Hush - Big Joe Turner, Soul On Fire - LaVern Baker, Money Honey - Clyde McPhatter & the Drifters, Lovey Dovey - The Clovers, Such A Night - Clyde McPhatter & the Drifters, Tipitina - Professor Longhair, White Christmas - Clyde McPhatter & the Drifters, Honey Love - Clyde McPhatter & the Drifters, Whatcha Gonna Do? - Clyde McPhatter & the Drifters, Shake Rattle & Roll - Big Joe Turner, Sh-Boom - The Chords, Oh What A Dream - Ruth Brown, Jam Up - Tommy Ridgley, After the Lights Go Down Low - Al Hibbler, Tomorrow Night - LaVern Baker, Tweedlee Dee - LaVern Baker, I Got A Woman - Ray Charles, Greenbacks - Ray Charles, The Door Is Still Open - The Cardinals, Flip Flop & Fly - Big Joe Turner, A Fool For You - Ray Charles, This Little Girl of Mine - Ray Charles, Play It Fair - LaVern Baker, Adorable - The Drifters, Smokey Joe's Cafe - The Robins, Ruby Baby - The Drifters, In Paradise - The Cookies, The Chicken and the Hawk - Big Joe Turner, Devil Or Angel - The Clovers, Drown In My Own Tears - Ray Charles, Hallelujah I Love Her So - Ray Charles, Jim Dandy - LaVern Baker, Down In Mexico - The Coasters, Corrine Corrina - Big Joe Turner, Treasure of Love - Clyde McPhatter, Love Love Love - The Clovers, It's Too Late - Chuck Willis, Lonely Avenue - Ray Charles, Since I Met You Baby - Ivory Joe Hunter, Lucky Lips - Ruth Brown, Without Love (There Is Nothing) - Clyde McPhatter, Fools Fall In Love - The Drifters, Midnight Special Train - Big Joe Turner, Empty Arms - Ivory Joe Hunter, C. C. Rider - Chuck Willis, Searchin' - The Coasters, Young Blood - The Coasters, Mr. Lee - The Bobbettes, Long Lonely Nights - Clyde McPhatter, Betty and Dupree - Chuck Willis, What Am I Livin' For? - Chuck Willis, Hang Up My Rock and Roll Shoes - Chuck Willis, Yakety Yak - The Coasters, A Lover's Question - Clyde McPhatter, I Cried A Tear - LaVern Baker, The Right Time - Ray Charles, Charlie Brown - The Coasters, What'd I Say? (Parts 1 & 2) - Ray Charles, There Goes My Baby - The Drifters, Along Came Jones - The Coasters, Let the Good Times Roll - Ray Charles, Poison Ivy - The Coasters, Dance With Me - The Drifters, Just For A Thrill - Ray Charles, This Magic Moment - the Drifters, Save the Last Dance For Me - The Drifters, Shopping For Clothes - The Coasters, Spanish Harlem - Ben E. King, Young Boy Blues - Ben E. King, Stand By Me - Ben E. King, Gee Whiz - Carla Thomas, Saved - LaVern Baker, Just Out of Reach (Of My Two Empty Arms) - Solomon Burke, Little Egypt - The Coasters, Amor - Ben E. King, Last Night - The Mar-Keys, I'm Blue - The Ikettes, You Don't Miss Your Water - William Bell, I Found A Love - The Falcons, Cry To Me - Solomon Burke, Don't Play That Song (You Lied) - Ben E. King, Green Onions - Booker T. & the MG's, Up On the Roof - The Drifters, See See Rider - LaVern Baker, I (Who Have Nothing) - Ben E. King, If You Need Me - Solomon Burke, These Arms of Mine - Otis Redding, Hello Stranger - Barbara Lewis, On Broadway - The Drifters, Just One Look - Doris Troy, Mashed Potatoes - Nat Kendricks & the Swans, Land of 1000 Dances - Chris Kenner, Walkin' the Dog - Rufus Thomas, Release Me - Esther Phillips, Mercy Mercy - Don Covay, Under the Boardwalk - The Drifters, And I Love Him - Esther Phillips, Hold What You've Got - Joe Tex, Mr. Pitiful - Otis Redding, Baby I'm Yours - Barbara Lewis, Teasin' You - Willie Tee, Got To Get You Off My Mind - Solomon Burke, I Want To Do Everything For You - Joe Tex, I've Been Loving You Too Long - Otis Redding, A Sweet Woman Like You - Joe Tex, In the Midnight Hour - Wilson Pickett, See-Saw - Don Covay, Respect - Otis Redding, You Don't Know Like I Know - Sam & Dave, When A Man Loves A Woman - Percy Sledge, 634-5789 - Wilson Pickett, Hold On I'm Comin' - Sam & Dave, Cool Jerk - The Capitols, Neighbor Neighbor - Jimmy Hughes, Land of 1000 Dances - Wilson Pickett, Knock On Wood - Eddie Floyd, Try A Little Tenderness - Otis Redding, Mustang Sally - Wilson Pickett, When Something Is Wrong With My Baby - Sam & Dave, Sweet Soul Music - Arthur Conley, I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Loved You) - Aretha Franklin, Do Right Woman-Do Right Man - Aretha Franklin, Show Me - Joe Tex, Tramp - Otis Redding & Carla Thomas, Funky Broadway - Wilson Pickett, Hip Hug-Her - Booker T. & the MG's, Soul Man - Sam & Dave, Respect - Aretha Franklin, (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman - Aretha Franklin, Soul Finger - The Bar-Kays, Baby I Love You - Aretha Franklin, Skinny Legs and All - Joe Tex, Chain of Fools - Aretha Franklin, I'm In Love - Wilson Pickett, Memphis Soul Stew - King Curtis, Since You've Been Gone - Aretha Franklin, (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding, Tighten Up - Archie Bell & the Drells, Slip Away - Clarence Carter, Think - Aretha Franklin, Too Weak To Fight - Clarence Carter, Can I Change My Mind - Tyrone Davis, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Roberta Flack, Take A Letter Maria - R. B. Greaves, Rainy Night In Georgia - Brook Benton, The Ghetto - Donny Hathaway, Turn Back the Hands of Time - Tyrone Davis, Compared To What - Les McCann & Eddie Harris, Call Me - Aretha Franklin, Don't Play That Song (You Lied) - Aretha Franklin, Precious Precious - Jackie Moore, Groove Me - King Floyd, Patches - Clarence Carter, Don't Knock My Love (Part 1) - Wilson Pickett, Funky Nassau (Parts 1 & 2) - Beginning of the End, Thin Line Between Love and Hate - The Persuaders, Rock Steady - Aretha Franklin, Day Dreamin' - Aretha Franklin, You've Got A Friend - Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway, Clean Up Woman - Betty Wright, Could It Be I'm Falling In Love - The Spinners, Killing Me Softly With His Song - Roberta Flack, Where Is the Love? - Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway, I'll Be Around - The Spinners, Feel Like Makin' Love - Roberta Flack, One of A Kind - The Spinners, Sideshow - Blue Magic, Mighty Love - The Spinners, Love Won't Let Me Wait - Major Harris

IMPRESSIONS: All killer no filler! The House that Ruth Built. The impact and influence of the Atlantic Records catalogue cannot be overstated. This is one of the best box sets you're gonna find. The song "Patches" by Clarence Carter was one of my earliest "favourite songs" as a wee kid; because of this my first dog was named Patches. He bit me.

MY FAVOURITE TRACKS: Everything here is a stone classic. But in the interest of brevity (already out the window with THIS monumental post), I'll choose my favourites from the best of the best: Cole Slaw - Frank "Floorshow" Culley, Drinkin' Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee - Stick McGhee, So Long - Ruth Brown, I'll Get Along Somehow - Ruth Brown, Hey Little Girl - Professor Longhair, Mardi Gras in New Orleans - Professor Longhair, Teardrops From My Eyes - Ruth Brown, One Monkey Don't Stop No Show - Stick McGhee, The Chill Is On - Big Joe Turner, Chains of Love - Big Joe Turner, Wheel of Fortune - The Cardinals, 5-10-15 Hours - Ruth Brown, Mama He Treats Your Daughter Mean - Ruth Brown, Mess Around - Ray Charles, Honey Hush - Big Joe Turner, Soul On Fire - LaVern Baker, Money Honey - Clyde McPhatter & the Drifters, White Christmas - Clyde McPhatter & the Drifters, Shake Rattle & Roll - Big Joe Turner, Sh-Boom - The Chords, Oh What A Dream - Ruth Brown, Jam Up - Tommy Ridgley, After the Lights Go Down Low - Al Hibbler, Tomorrow Night - LaVern Baker, Tweedlee Dee - LaVern Baker, I Got A Woman - Ray Charles, Greenbacks - Ray Charles, Flip Flop and Fly - Big Joe Turner, Play It Fair - LaVern Baker, Smokey Joe's Cafe - The Robins, In Paradise - The Cookies, Devil Or Angel - The Clovers, Hallelujah I Love Her So - Ray Charles, Jim Dandy - LaVern Baker, Down in Mexico - The Coasters, Lonely Avenue - Ray Charles, Since I Met You Baby - Ivory Joe Hunter, Lucky Lips - Ruth Brown, Fools Fall In Love - The Drifters, C. C. Rider - Chuck Willis, Searchin' - The Coasters, A Lover's Question - Clyde McPhatter, The Night Time is the Right Time - Ray Charles, What'd I Say (Parts 1 & 2) - Ray Charles, There Goes My Baby - The Drifters, Let the Good Times Roll - Ray Charles, Save the Last Dance For Me - The Drifters, Spanish Harlem - Ben E. King, Young Boy Blues - Ben E. King, Stand By Me - Ben E. King, Gee Whiz - Carla Thomas, Saved - LaVern Baker, Last Night - The Mar-Keys, Cry To Me - Solomon Burke, Green Onions - Booker T. & the MG's, Up On the Roof - The Drifters, These Arms of Mine - Otis Redding, Hello Stranger - Barbara Lewis, Just One Look - Doris Troy, Mashed Potatoes - Nat Kendricks & the Swans, Walking the Dog - Rufus Thomas, Under the Boardwalk - The Drifters, And I Love Him - Esther Phillips, Hold What You've Got - Joe Tex, Baby I'm Yours - Barbara Lewis, Teasin' You - Willie Tee, Got To Get You Off My Mind - Solomon Burke, I Want To Do Everything For You - Joe Tex, I've Been Loving You Too Long - Otis Redding, Hold On I'm Comin' - Sam & Dave, Cool Jerk - The Capitols, Knock On Wood - Eddie Floyd, Try A Little Tenderness - Otis Redding, Sweet Soul Music - Arthur Conley, I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Loved You) - Aretha Franklin, Do Right Woman Do Right Man - Aretha Franklin, Hip Hug-Her - Booker T. & the MG's, Soul Man - Sam & Dave, Respect - Aretha Franklin, (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman - Aretha Franklin, Baby I Love You - Aretha Franklin, Chain of Fools - Aretha Franklin, Since You've Been Gone - Aretha Franklin, (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding, Think - Aretha Franklin, Can I Change My Mind - Tyrone Davis, Rainy Night In Georgia - Brook Benton, The Ghetto - Donny Hathaway, Turn Back the Hands of Time - Tyrone Davis, Call Me - Aretha Franklin, Don't Play That Song (You Lied) - Aretha Franklin, Groove Me - King Floyd, Patches - Clarence Carter, Funky Nassau (Parts 1 & 2) - Wilson Pickett, Thin Line Between Love and Hate - The Persuaders, Rock Steady - Aretha Franklin, Day Dreamin' - Aretha Franklin, Clean Up Woman - Betty Wright, Could It Be I'm Falling In Love - The Spinners, Where Is the Love? - Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway, I'll Be Around - The Spinners, Feel Like Makin' Love - Roberta Flack, Sideshow - Blue Magic, Love Won't Let Me Wait - Major Harris

FACT SHEET: ATLANTIC RHYTHM AND BLUES 1947-1974 is an eight cd box set which chronologically covers the biggest hits from the classic R&B label between the years 1947 - 1974. The box set was originally released in 1985 on vinyl with one less record in the box; the final volume (number 8) featuring music from the years 1970 to 1974 was included when the box set was reissued on compact disc in 1991.

No comments:

Post a Comment