Wednesday, January 18, 2012

AIN'T THAT A BITCH - Johnny "Guitar" Watson

YEAR: 1976

LABEL: Shout Factory

TRACK LISTING: I Need It, I Want To Ta-Ta You Baby, Superman Lover, Ain't That A Bitch, Since I Met You Baby, We're No Exception, Won't You Forgive Me Baby

BONUS TRACKS: Funkula, Follow Me

IMPRESSIONS: What an outrrrrrrrrrrrrrrageous cover! This album brings to mind commuting 40 miles round trip to my job at the Turnersville Lone Star down Cross Keys Road circa 1997. Somehow or other I had suddenly gotten Johnny "Guitar" Watson on my radar in the mid-90's and picked up this cd at Tunes. "Bitch" is probably the best place to start when delving into "the Gangster of Love's" 70's funk success.

MY FAVOURITE TRACKS: I Want to Ta-Ta You Baby, Superman Lover, Ain't That A Bitch, Since I Met You Baby, We're No Exception

FACT SHEET: AIN'T THAT A BITCH is Johnny "Guitar" Watson's 11th album. The album was certified gold and was Watson's first successful funk album after a long career as a blues artist. The album spawned two hit singles: "Superman Lover" (which would be later sampled by Ice Cube, Ghostface Killah and Redman) and "I Need It". Watson's often spoken lyrics lend him to be considered one of the forefathers of rap.

No comments:

Post a Comment