Saturday, December 31, 2011

ALONE - Judy Garland

YEAR: 1957

LABEL: Capitol

TRACK LISTING: By Myself, Little Girl Blue, Me and My Shadow, Among My Souvenirs, I Gotta Right to Sing the Blues, I Get the Blues When It Rains, Mean To Me, How About Me?, Just A Memory, Blue Prelude, Happy New Year

BONUS TRACKS: Then You've Never Been Blue (studio outtake)

IMPRESSIONS: Here we have a relative rarity: a Judy Garland concept album. The only other one I can think of is "THE LETTER". This is what I like to call one of those great old "slash your wrists" albums which would make a terrific companion to those Sinatra albums "ONLY THE LONELY" and "IN THE WEE SMALL HOURS". This is also probably why it's the only Judy Garland album I own. The songs are themed around loneliness and melancholy blues but many of the songs are paradoxically arranged in a rather peppy upbeat manner; sort of like Judy is depressed but trying to put a brave face on it all. La Garland is in fine voice and still at the top of her game. And the fog-enshrouded, overcast beach on which Judy stands in her pearls and yellow coat strike the perfect mood before you even drop the needle on the album.

MY FAVOURITE TRACKS: By Myself, Little Girl Blue, Among My Souvenirs, I Gotta Right To Sing the Blues, I Get the Blues When It Rains, Mean To Me, How About Me?, Just A Memory, Happy New Year

FACT SHEET: ALONE is Judy Garland's third 12-inch LP for Capitol Records. The album was arranged by Gordon Jenkins and produced by Kingston Trio producer Voyle Gilmour (!).

No comments:

Post a Comment