Tuesday, December 13, 2011

HAPPY HOLIDAYS: I LOVE THE WINTER WEATHER - Jo Stafford

YEAR: 1955/1956

LABEL: Hanover Music Corp.

TRACK LISTING: Happy Holiday, Winter Weather, Sleigh Ride, By the Fireside, I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm, Jingle Bells/Winter Wonderland, Toyland, 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, March of the Toys, The Christmas Song, I Wonder As I Wander, O Little Town of Bethlehem, Silent Night, Hanover Winter Song, It Happened in Sun Valley, June In January, Whiffenpoof Song, Baby It's Cold Outside, The Nearness of You, Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!, Moonlight In Vermont, Happy Holiday (Reprise)

IMPRESSIONS: There's just something about Christmas in the 1950s! One of the best voices to evoke this fifties yuletide feeling is Jo Stafford; her smooth croon is so incredibly warm when singing the slow romantic ballads designed to snuggle up in front of a ski lodge fireplace with such songs as "Moonlight In Vermont", "The Nearness of You" and "June In January". However, Stafford also excels at the up-tempo swing contained in "Winter Weather", "It Happened In Sun Valley" and "Let It Snow!". This album (or should I say "albums") makes a perfect listening companion with Dean Martin's "A WINTER ROMANCE".

MY FAVOURITE TRACKS: Winter Weather, Sleigh Ride, By the Fireside, I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm, Jingle Bells/Winter Wonderland, The Christmas Song, I Wonder As I Wander, It Happened In Sun Valley, June In January, The Nearness of You, Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!, Moonlight In Vermont

GUEST ARTISTS: The Starlighters (vocals), The Norman Luboff Choir (vocals)

FACT SHEET: HAPPY HOLIDAYS collects two of Jo Stafford's albums: "HAPPY HOLIDAY" (1955) and "SKI TRAILS" (1956). The album features Paul Weston and His Orchestra; Paul Weston was Jo Stafford's husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment