Sunday, December 18, 2011

BREAKING HEARTS - Elton John



YEAR: 1984

LABEL: Geffen/MCA

TRACK LISTING: Restless, Slow Down Georgie (She's Poison), Who Wears These Shoes?, Breaking Hearts (Ain't What It Used To Be), Li'l 'Frigerator, Passengers, In Neon, Burning Buildings, Did He Shoot Her?, Sad Songs (Say So Much)

IMPRESSIONS: This album strangely has a lot of associations for me: a) it's a major Rustler record, b) it is strongly associated with my friend Paul and c) it is strongly associated with college. I had always liked Elton John but it wasn't until becoming friends with Paul at my new (and first) job at Rustler Steak House that I became a big fan. Paul was a huge fan and would have Elton John playing a great deal on our many road trips. The BREAKING HEARTS album was the first new album that came out during this time and I really got into it. As for the college association, I actually bought the vinyl LP at the college store at Glassboro State. Back then, before I owned a cd player, I would tape the record onto cassette and the BREAKING HEARTS album was on A LOT in my car tape deck during the long commute back and forth to college. It contains a few of my favourite Elton songs: "Burning Buildings", "In Neon" and "Restless" and its an album I'm quite fond of.

MY FAVOURITE TRACKS: Restless, Slow Down Georgie (She's Poison), Who Wears These Shoes?, Breaking Hearts (Ain't What It Used To Be), Li'l 'Frigerator, Passengers, In Neon, Burning Buildings, Did He Shoot Her?

FACT SHEET: BREAKING HEARTS is Elton John's 18th studio album. The album features the "classic lineup" of Davey Johnstone (guitar), Dee Murray (bass) and Nigel Olsson (drums). This would be the last Elton John album to feature Dee Murray on bass before his death in 1992 and the last album to feature Nigel Olsson on drums until 2001's "SONGS FROM THE WEST COAST". BREAKING HEARTS is also the first album since VICTIM OF LOVE not to feature a string section or horn section on any track. The album went platinum and featured 3 singles: "Who Wears These Shoes?", "Passengers" and the #5 hit single "Sad Songs (Say So Much). The album was recorded by Elton's future wife Renate Blauel.

No comments:

Post a Comment