Monday, May 21, 2012

THE MOLLUSK   -   Ween

YEAR:  1997
LABEL:  Elektra
TRACK LISTING:  I'm Dancing in the Show Tonight,  The Mollusk,  Polka Dot Tail,  I'll Be Your Jonny On the Spot,  Mutilated Lips,  The Blarney Stone,  It's Gonna Be (Alright),  The Golden Eel,  Cold Blows the Wind,  Pink Eye (On My Leg),  Waving My Dick In the Wind,  Buckingham Green,  Ocean Man,  She Wanted To Leave/(Reprise)
IMPRESSIONS:  It's hard to decide which Ween album is my favourite but this is definitely in the running.  I've always had a great fondness for this album; I don't know if its because of the heavily (but not completely) "oceany" theme of it which makes me feel like I'm in an episode of "SIGMUND & THE SEA MONSTERS" but Dean Ween himself says:  "I will say that the only record that I ever felt really confident about was The Mollusk. That's my favorite record we've ever done".  As usual, the album contains almost a different musical genre per song from the folky murder ballad "Cold Blows the Wind" to the cod Ozzy Osbourne pastiche "Buckingham Green" to the aquatic bubbly title track. 
MY FAVOURITE TRACKS:  I'm Dancing In the Show Tonight,  The Mollusk,  I'll Be Your Jonny On the Spot,  Mutilated Lips,  It's Gonna Be (Alright),  Cold Blows the Wind,  Pink Eye (On My Leg),  Waving My Dick In the Wind,  Buckingham Green,  Ocean Man,  She Wanted To Leave/(Reprise)
FACT SHEET:  THE MOLLUSK is Ween's sixth album.  It is a partial concept album with most of the songs featuring an "aquatic" theme.  Following 1994's "CHOCOLATE AND CHEESE" album, Ween wanted to go back to recording the way they used to at home.  So, they gathered their recording equipment and toted it all to a beach house in Holgate, NJ which promptly flooded due to a burst water pipe.  After nearly losing their gear and recorded takes from THE MOLLUSK sessions, Ween put the album on hold and went to Nashville to record their "12 GOLDEN COUNTRY GREATS" which they subsequently released in 1996.  After touring that album, Ween returned to work on "THE MOLLUSK" and released it finally in 1997.  "THE MOLLUSK" was nominated for an "Album of the Year" Penguin Award and "Buckingham Green" was nominated for "Song of the Year".

No comments:

Post a Comment