Wednesday, April 4, 2012

MOOD MUSIC - Paul Weston & His Orchestra
YEAR: 1953
LABEL: Columbia
TRACK LISTING: When Your Lover Has Gone, My Silent Love, I'll Follow My Secret Heart, Moon Song, Yesterdays, One Night of Love, Under A Blanket of Blue, Stardust, All Alone, Then I'll Be Tired of You, What'll I Do, Among My Souvenirs
IMPRESSIONS: There is no better album to put on while mixing up some cocktails in your smoking jacket or lounging in a slinky dress on your zebra-skin sofa while candlelight glints off your diamond tiara. No seriously, I mean it. Paul Weston invented the "mood music" genre with his series of albums starting with "MUSIC FOR DREAMING" in 1945 at Capitol Records and continuing when he and his wife Jo Stafford moved over to Columbia in 1950. These albums sounds similar to the kind of thing Jackie Gleason and his orchestra were releasing; something I call "doctor's office music" or what others commonly call elevator music. Lush lush lush. And I'm referring to how the music sounds NOT the conductor's drinking proclivities. But now that I've mentioned drinks . . . let's head on over to the tiki bar and get us a couple while we listen to Paul Weston's "MOOD MUSIC"!
MY FAVOURITE TRACKS: When Your Lover Has Gone, My Silent Love, I'll Follow My Secret Heart, Moon Song, Yesterdays, Under A Blanket of Blue, Stardust, What'll I Do, Among My Souvenirs
FACT SHEET: It's a little difficult to track these things but "MOOD MUSIC" is probably Paul Weston's 13th album. Weston worked as an arranger, songwriter (he co-wrote the standard "I SHOULD CARE" among others) and orchestra leader in films and radio as well as on record. He was tapped by Johnny Mercer to work for his fledgling Capitol Records label where he "invented" the lounge music genre of easy listening entitled "mood music" with his 1945 Capitol album "MUSIC FOR DREAMING". Weston married singer Jo Stafford in 1952. Together the couple secretly recorded and released some musical comedy albums as "Jonathan and Darlene Edwards"; Jonathan was said to have two left hands and played the piano atrociously while Darlene sang even worse. The identity of the pair was rumoured to be someone very famous in the music industry but it was a while before Stafford and Weston revealed their identities.

No comments:

Post a Comment