Thursday, September 8, 2011

THE RISE AND FALL OF ZIGGY STARDUST AND THE SPIDERS FROM MARS - David Bowie

YEAR: 1972
LABEL: RCA Victor
TRACK LISTING: Five Years, Soul Love, Moonage Daydream, Starman, It Ain't Easy, Lady Stardust, Star, Hang On To Yourself, Ziggy Stardust, Suffragette City, Rock 'n' Roll Suicide
IMPRESSIONS: My mother didn't raise me on Perry Como records; she raised me on Sly & the Family Stone and David Bowie! And THE Bowie album was ZIGGY almost as long as I can remember. A notation on the album cover suggested that the record be played at maximum volume and lord love a duck it certainly was! Especially "Hang On to Yourself" which is the major template for the later sound of the Ramones.  The mere thought of this album transports me back to Maple Shade and our little house there. We'd play the record in the living room with the wood panelling, the black and white striped couch, the modern black S-shaped lounging chair, the lime green bean bag chair and the string art on the wall! This is truly one of those albums which I've been listening to my entire conscious life and it still sounds fresh and new today. I will never tire of it. After almost 40 years listening to it, I think that's a safe bet.
MY FAVOURITE TRACKS: All of 'em!
GUEST ARTISTS: Rick Wakeman (harpsichord & keyboards)
FACT SHEET: ZIGGY is David Bowie's fifth album. The character of Ziggy Stardust has many origins. It is based on British rocker Vince Taylor who, after a nervous breakdown, thought himself to be a cross between God and an alien. The name also derives from The Legendary Stardust Cowboy (a song of whose Bowie would later cover on his "HEATHEN" album) and a tailor shop named "Ziggy's" which Bowie had passed on a train; because the name was one of the few beginning with the letter 'Z' as well as having the "Iggy (Pop) connotation", as well as the heavy importance of clothes with the character, Bowie thought it was very appropriate. This is another of those concept albums which I love so well: the album was intended to be the soundtrack to a stage show or television production which never came to pass. A lengthy explanation of the story of Ziggy Stardust by Bowie is too long to include here but can be found on the wikipedia entry for the album. The iconic cover photo was taken outside K. West furriers at 23 Heddon Street, London, W1. The cover was among 10 chosen by the Royal Mail in January 2010 for a set of postage stamps entitled "Classic Album Covers".

3 comments:

  1. Well I can only but concur with your view on this supreme album. I myself was a mere 12 year old back when this came out. At the time I was into skinhead trojan reggae & black music that is until I went round my friends house & he introduced me to this awesome album. I remember it well, a summers afternoon I'd just had my hair cropped to a skinhead, wore my two tone trousers, solatio shoes and checked ben sherman shirt.....off I trotted to my mates house. He was into what was fast becoming glam-rock & after listening to a myriad of songs from Bolan & Pilot to Slade he promptly pulled out this album. He gave me the cover and the first thing I noticed on reading the back cover the 'to be played at maximum volume' & he promptly did thereby blowing my head clean off & by the time moonage daydream came on I remember clearly thinking I'd met my maker in Bowie! The rest is history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for the excellent comment. These personal recollections describing how we relate to music are just what I love to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I enjoy reading your entries when I can. Full of insight they invariably always bring back warm feelings about past times.....carry on the great work old bean!

      Delete