Thursday, September 22, 2011

NAT KING COLE SINGS FOR TWO IN LOVE (AND MORE) - Nat King Cole



YEAR: 1955

LABEL: Capitol

TRACK LISTING: Love Is Here To Stay, A Handful of Stars, This Can't Be Love, A Little Street Where Old Friends Meet, Autumn Leaves, Let's Fall In Love, There Goes My Heart, Dinner For One Please James, Almost Like Being In Love, Tenderly, You Stepped Out of a Dream, There Will Never Be Another You

BONUS TRACKS: Too Much, A Thousand Thoughts of You, If You Said No

IMPRESSIONS: In my collection, Nat King Cole isn't much of an "album" artist since I have tons of "greatest hits" collections and box sets. However, I still managed to get a couple actual albums and this is probably my favourite. It contains a great many songs which I loved already from my grandmother's vinyl box set I'd been listening to since the 1970s. Some of my all-time favourite Nat King Cole hits are on here but there are also lesser-known songs which also count as my favourites: There Goes My Heart, A Handful of Stars, Dinner For One Please James and A Thousand Thoughts of You. While Cole himself didn't think he had a good singing voice, I (and the rest of the world) beg to differ. Nat King Cole is one of the greatest interpreters of the song form in the history of the universe, already!
MY FAVOURITE TRACKS: Love Is Here To Stay, A Handful of Stars, This Can't Be Love, A Little Street Where Old Friends Meet, Autumn Leaves, Let's Fall In Love, There Goes My Heart, Dinner For One Please James, Almost Like Being In Love, Tenderly, You Stepped Out of a Dream, A Thousand Thoughts of You

FACT SHEET: NAT KING COLE SINGS FOR TWO IN LOVE is Nat's 10th and 13th album. 10th in the sense that it was originally released as a 10" LP at the dawn of long-playing record albums and then it was subsequently released as a 12" proper LP with some added songs. The album cover above is not the original LP cover; it is in fact the early 90's cd reissue which was released with additional bonus tracks as well. The album was arranged and conducted by Nelson Riddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment