Thursday, January 17, 2013

GUYS AND DOLLS  -  ORIGINAL BROADWAY CAST



YEAR:  1951
LABEL:  Decca
TRACK LISTING:  Runyonland Music/Fugue For Tinhorns/Follow the Fold  -  Stubby Kaye/Johnny Silver/Douglas Deane/Isabel Bigley and the Mission Group,  The Oldest Established   -  Stubby Kaye, Sam Levene & Johnny Silver,  I'll Know  -  Robert Alda & Isabel Bigley,  A Bushel and A Peck  Vivian Blaine and the Hot Box Girls,  Adelaide's Lament  Vivian Blaine,  Guys and Dolls  -  Stubby Kaye & Johnny Silver,  If I Were A Bell,  -  Isabel Bigley  My Time of Day  -  Robert Alda,  I've Never Been In Love Before  -  Robert Alda & Isabel Bigley,  Take Back Your Mink  -  Vivian Blaine and the Hot Box Girls,  More I Cannot Wish You  -  Pat Rooney Sr.,  Luck Be A Lady  -  Robert Alda and the Guys,  Sue Me  -  Vivian Blaine and Sam Levene,  Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat  -  Stubby Kaye with Chorus,  Marry the Man Today  -  Vivian Blaine & Isabel Bigley,  Reprise:  Guys and Dolls  -  Viviane Blaine & Isabel Bigley
BONUS TRACKS:  (On the CD reissue 4 tracks from the 1955 film version are included):  I'll Know  -  Marlon Brando & Jean Simmons,  If I Were A Bell  -  Marlon Brando & Jean Simmons,  A Woman In Love  -  Marlon Brando,  Luck Be A Lady  -  Marlon Brando and the Guys
IMPRESSIONS:  Several very strong connections with this musical.  Firstly, from the time I was knee-high to a zygote, my mother used to sing me "A Bushel and A Peck" as a lullaby at bedtime.  Much later in high school, the first of two school plays I was involved in was "GUYS AND DOLLS" so I became very familiar with that play and that is when I bought the LP reissue of the original Broadway cast album.  As part of the Concert Choir I also helped as a stagehand and various other dog's body tasks while my best friend Paul starred as Nicely Nicely Johnson who delivered the shopstopping "Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat"; this same friend Paul would later become the successful casting director/acting coach Paul Russell.  There is no part of this album I can hear without immediately being catapulted back to junior year on the stage of Cherokee High School.  Just call me Brandy Bottle Bates!
MY FAVOURITE TRACKS:  Runyonland Music/Fugue For Tinhorns/Follow the Fold,  The Oldest Established,  A Bushel and A Peck,  Adelaide's Lament,  Guys and Dolls,  If I Were A Bell,  Take Back Your Mink,  More I Cannot Wish You,  Luck Be A Lady,  Sue Me,  Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat,  Marry the Man Today,  Reprise:  Guys and Dolls
FACT SHEET:  GUYS AND DOLLS is the original Broadway cast recording from 1951 starring Robert Alda, Isabel Bigley, Vivian Blaine, Sam Levene and Stubby Kaye.  The play is based on a story by Damon Runyon with music and lyrics by Frank Loesser.

No comments:

Post a Comment