Saturday, December 29, 2012

HOME COOKIN'  -  JIMMY SMITH

YEAR:  1959
LABEL:  Blue Note
TRACK LISTING:  See See Rider,  Sugar Hill,  I Got A Woman,  Messin' Around,  Gracie,  Come On Baby,  Motorin' Along
BONUS TRACKS:  Since I Fell For You,  Apostrophe,  Groanin',  Motorin' Along (alternate take),  Since I Fell For You (alternate take)
IMPRESSIONS:  It's jazz.  It's the Hammond organ.  It's the Incredible Jimmy Smith.  This is another artist I only got into when working at Borders and talking to Maz in the jazz cd section.  I've got several of the Incredible Jimmy Smith's albums but this may be my favourite -- if for no other reason than the album cover is one of my all-time favourite album covers.  The music on offer is nothing to sneeze at either.  I never in a million years dreamed I would like jazz played on a Hammond organ but the Incredible Jimmy Smith can be addicting.  When Smith debuted, he was hailed as something new and revolutionary in the jazz world and nowhere is his mastery on display more than this album; an album allmusic's Lindsay Planer advises "...is a recommended starting place for burgeoning enthusiasts as well as a substantial entry for the initiated".  Like the promise of the album photo, HOME COOKIN' offers some of Smith's tastiest tracks.  Accompanied by standout bandmates like Kenny Burrell on guitar, Donald Bailey on drums and Percy France on tenor sax, Jimmy Smith provides us with one swingin' set.
MY FAVOURITE TRACKS:  See See Rider,  I Got A Woman,  Messin' Around,  Come On Baby,  Motorin' Along,  Since I Fell For You,  Groanin'
FACT SHEET:  HOME COOKIN' is the Incredible Jimmy Smith's 14th album.  Maybe.  Again, it's difficult to count when there are all these "volume one" and "volume 2" albums preceding it.  Counting them individually, this could be his 20th album.  The album features Jimmy Smith on organ, Kenny Burrell on guitar, Percy France on tenor saxophone and Donald Bailey on drums.  Tracks 7, 8, 11 & 12 were recorded on July 15, 1958.  Tracks 3 & 10 were recorded on May 24, 1959.  Tracks 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 & 9 were recorded on June 16, 1959. 

No comments:

Post a Comment