Sunday, November 27, 2011

AESOP'S FABLES THE SMOTHERS BROTHERS WAY - The Smothers Brothers

YEAR: 1965

LABEL: Mercury

TRACK LISTING: Overture - Aesop's Fables Our Way, The Greedy Dog, A Fox (Maybe I'd Better Stay Me), The Boy Who Cried Wolf, A Fly (Maybe I'd Better Stay Me), The Dog and the Thief, A Worm (Maybe I'd Better Stay Me), The Farmer and His Sons, The Fox and the Grapes, A Jellyfish (Maybe I'd Better Stay Me), The Bird and the Jar, A Mosquito (Maybe I'd Better Stay Me), The Two Frogs, A Car (Maybe I'd Better Stay Me), Aesop Knew (Reprise)

IMPRESSIONS: This is another of those albums inseparable from my childhood. I was listening to it as long as I can remember and is one of those albums which immediately rocket me back to an age of single digits when I'd sit on the floor with my portable record player and drop the needle onto sublime silliness. Even the very lettering of "AESOP'S FABLES" on the album cover have become iconic to me and I occasionally utilize that font when I'm coming over all nostalgic. This, of course, was assuredly my first encounter with Aesop's Fables and you actually do get the real story interspersed with Smothers Brothers antics. One of my most beloved records from my kid-dom.

MY FAVOURITE TRACKS: All of 'em.

FACT SHEET: AESOP'S FABLES is the Smothers Brothers' seventh album. All the songs were written by John McCarthy. Unlike many Smothers Brothers albums, AESOP'S FABLES was recorded in the studio without a live studio audience. In 2002, Universal Music and Laugh.com re-released the album finally on compact disc.

No comments:

Post a Comment