Thursday, March 11, 2021

 LIVE AT SING SING  -  MOMS MABLEY



YEAR:  1970

LABEL:  Mercury

TRACK LISTING:  Monologue I,  Monologue II:  Go Tell It On the Mountain

IMPRESSIONS:  We all know Moms Mabley is hilarious.  But there's something extra hilarious and really ironic about the back cover of the album.  There is a blurb written by Bill Cosby which, due to recent events, is hilariously ironic to say the least.  I've just got to quote it here because have to see it to believe it:  "I know if I were an inmate and I heard that Moms Mabley was coming, sexually I would not be too excited.  But once I start to think about it, I would begin to realize the groovy things that Moms would bring to me. . . .Laughter is one of the most important things in life to depressed and disturbed human beings, and I know that Moms realized this when she went to Sing Sing -- and she delivered.  If I'm ever busted for anything, I hope that Moms comes to my prison and does a concert and I'll ask for an eight-by-ten picture of her in the nude.  -- Bill Cosby".  I mean . . . . just wow.

MY FAVOURITE TRACKS:  As usual with Moms Mabley albums, there's a Side One and a Side Two . . . so all of 'em.

FACT SHEET:  LIVE AT SING SING is Moms Mabley's nineteenth album (more or less).  Monologue II features a version of the song "Go Tell It On The Mountain" that was arranged by Moms Mabley.  The back of the album contains liner notes/blurbs written by Bill Cosby and Merv Griffin.  All original material was written by Moms Mabley and Eddie Parton.


No comments:

Post a Comment