Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A MAN AIN'T SUPPOSED TO CRY - Joe Williams

YEAR: 1958

LABEL: Roulette

TRACK LISTING: What's New?, It's the Talk of the Town, I'll Never Smile Again, I'm Thru With Love, Where Are You (Top of the Town), I've Only Myself To Blame, Say It Isn't So, What Will I Tell My Heart, You've Got Me Crying Again, Can't We Talk It Over, I Laugh To Keep From Crying, A Man Ain't Supposed To Cry

IMPRESSIONS: Here's another one of those wonderful torch song albums; this time with the warm vibrato of Joe Williams. Much in the Billy Eckstine or Johnny Hartman style of baritone voices, Joe Williams' voice perfectly suits these songs and arrangements. Newly acquired by Roulette, Joe was being presented to make a big commercial hit with the lush romantic ballads contained herein. Williams had just had a monumental hit over at Verve with the Count Basie Orchestra on "Every Day I Have the Blues" and Roulette's Morris Levy wanted more of the same. No matter the motives, this album is a wonderful low-key listen . . . even if the orchestra is a little overpowering at times.

MY FAVOURITE TRACKS: It's the Talk of the Town, I'll Never Smile Again, I'm Thru With Love, I've Only Myself To Blame, Say It Isn't So, I Laugh To Keep From Crying, A Man Ain't Supposed To Cry

FACT SHEET: A MAN AIN'T SUPPOSED TO CRY is Joe Williams' first album for Roulette records after leaving Verve. The swing orchestra is arranged by Jimmy Mundy.

No comments:

Post a Comment